About this blog

This blog is all about fly fishing for native trout. On it I cover trip reports, fishing tactics, conservation, the latest news about native trout species and much more. This site provides a companion to my web page nativetroutflyfishing.com.

Gary

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hunting for native trout in the saltwater.

I had not been able to free up my schedule for any fishing my trip to Oregon until this past Sunday when I finally found myself with a few hours free. Fishing for native coastal cutthroat in the waters of the Puget Sound has always been one of my favorite things to do so I called up my friend Luke Filmer and we decided to head out to a local beach. The tides for the day weren't ideal and but the sun was out and we were hoping that the fish would be too.

When we got to the beach, the wind was absolutely howling. We started out off of a point that usually draws in some migrating coho salmon but the combination of seaweed and wind was just a bit too much to deal with so we worked our way around to the other side of the point in search of some more sheltered and less seaweed infested waters. As we started working down the beach the fish started showing signs of their presence; one fining on the surface here, another jumping there, and finally a tug on the end of my line. This first fish that I hooked up with didn't stay on for long, but one of his friends grabbed Luke's fly and he got a nice 12" cutthroat.

We continued working down the beach, each getting a few hits, than something big latched onto my fly. I was fishing an 8wt because the salmon traveling toward their spawning grounds this time of the year can do some serious damage on a lighter rod, and apparently so could this fish... He made several good runs and had my rod doubled over most of the time, but I finally managed to bring him to the net. A Puget Sound native coastal cutthroat at just shy of 20" an amazing fish any day.

Me with the 'big cutthroat'

A close up of the fish, just shy of 20" and chrome.

After turning this bruiser cutthroat loose, we headed a little further down the beach to an area that usually is invested with cutthroat. As usual, it did not disappoint and we spent the next hour fishing our way down the beach and catching a handful of cutthroat between 8" and 14". We saw one more fish that looked to be around 20" jump during this time as well as a couple of salmon, but didn't hook up with anymore of this big fish. After a while the fishing died off as the tidal flow slowed down so it was time to pull the plug on a great day on the water.

No comments: