I when I got home I headed straight out to the front yard to test the rod out and was in awe at how light it was and the fact that I could cast my fly line to the backing! My original plans for Monday morning had been to tie flies, but with this no rod I knew that I had to get out fishing and test it out. I called up my friend Luke who runs Blackwater fish replicas and we made plans to head out to a local estuary in the morning.
When I got up on Monday, the weather was windy and didn't look to fly friendly, but that wasn't going to stop me, so Luke and I made our way out to the estuary. The tide was high, but the wind surprisingly wasn't very bad so we got to fishing. On the first cast using a chum fry pattern I missed a good hit and on the third cast a got another bite and this time got a solid hook up and had a fish on. The fish made a number of runs, cart wheeling leaps, and underwater spins in standard coho fashion, but it was no match for my new rod and after the short battle I brought it to the net.
For the next half hour, the action was extremely fast paced with Luke and I each hooking up every few casts with some fat feisty coho that were gorging on out-migrating chum fry.
Another nice coho
However as is typical the good fishing was not going to last as a stiff North wind finally caught up with us numbing our fingers and making casting dangerous. Dangerous as in I caught a nice cone head fly with the back of my head... I got another fish and missed a few more before the relentless wind finally drove us from the beach.