About this blog

This blog is all about fly fishing for native trout. On it I cover trip reports, fishing tactics, conservation, the latest news about native trout species and much more. This site provides a companion to my web page nativetroutflyfishing.com.

Gary

Monday, April 26, 2010

First Fish on the Dry 2010 and Updates

So it has been a bit since I have posted much on the blog, but that will be changing here. I leave Wednesday morning for a few days steelheading and I am sure that there will be plenty to write about when I get back. I will also be looking to do some updates to the website in the near future here as well. Now onto the fishing report...

The other day I headed out to my local "super secret" cutthroat pond with my friend and coworker Justin. Upon arriving there were plenty of midges coming off and a few chum salmon fry swimming in the shallows, so I went with a callibaetis dry and chirony dropper and Justin started out with a little baitfish imitation. This was only my second outing with my new 6' 1wt Scott Fibertouch rod and I was quite curious to see how it dealt with the dry dropper step-up. I picked up a few fish on the dropper and Justin had a few grabs with the fry imitations when the wind kicked up and the fish started actively rising on the far side of the pond. I made my way over and on the first cast was rewarded with a beautiful native coastal cutthroat and my first fish on a dry for 2010!

Dry caught cutty!

3 comments:

Bigerrfish said...

congrats on that fish and good luck on the trip! looking forward to reading!!

On The Fly said...

Great Fish. Two best ways I love to hook a fish : On a dry because the way they sometimes explode on it and a striped streamer because they attack it to kill it. Keep them coming man.

Cutthroat Stalker said...

Nice little cutt! How was it with that 1wt--it must have put up a pretty good fight ;-)

-scott c