About this blog

This blog is all about fly fishing for native trout. On it I cover trip reports, fishing tactics, conservation, the latest news about native trout species and much more. This site provides a companion to my web page Nativetroutflyfishing.com.

Gary

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Back in Business...

To say that this past year has been busy is a major understatement. As a result of everything else going on in life right now, fishing and blogging for that matter dropped down my priority list. However, after a long break I finally got back after some sea-run Cutthroat at one of my favorite spots. 

The estuary

I arrived at estuary at low tide in hopes that the Coastal Cutthroat would be pushing into the river behind the salmon. As it would have it, while the salmon weren't moving in quite yet the Cutthroat certainly were waiting for them. I started out with a prawn pattern and within a couple of casts I got my first Cutthroat, a chunky 12" fish that fought valiantly on my 6 weight. I spent the next half an hour in this spot and landed three more Coastal Cutthroat before the fish seemed to wizen up. With the bite slowing down I decided it was time switch flies and head upstream. I put on one of my ever dependable Sea-run Buggers and in the next hole I missed another decent Cutthroat, then hooked into an even nicer one that looked to be about 18" to 20". However, I didn't get a very good hookset and after a few jumps the fish got the better of me.

Salmon season is underway (spawned out summer chum)

As I proceeded upstream, the Cutthroat were tucked along the undercut banks and seemed pretty interested in the Sea-run Bugger. Even when they were already full of salmon smolts they were still couldn't help themselves, such as this beauty below.

Still hungry...

Gotta love Coastal Cutthroat, they just don't know when enough is enough

 With the tide flooding in earnest at this point, I started making my way back downstream and sure enough the salmon started pushing into the river. As I was working my way down a side channel, I saw a wake coming upstream as a school of Coho worked their way over a bar. I cast my Sea-run Bugger downstream and gave it a couple of twitches just in front of the school and as fate would have it, one of the Coho broke away from the group and grabbed my fly. This Coho was big, and seemed to use its brute strength to its advantage making several good runs and putting my 6 wt to the test before finally coming to hand. This fish felt quite rewarding as last year I hooked 7 Coho without landing a single one and the year before I went one for thirteen. One for one, not bad!

 My first migratory Coho in two years.

Right as I got my fly out of this Coho and got him on his way, another school pushed through the shallows. I lucked out and these fish were grabby as well and the previous situation replayed itself. This time the Coho was a little bit smaller, but what is was lacking in size it made up for in fight and put up quite an aerial display. Luckily I got a good hookset on it and after a few minutes of tug of war, I was able to bring the beautiful 26" buck in. With the tide in at this point the Coho seemed to be done pushing in and I needed to get out before being stranded. So I cut my losses (or gains) and got out while I still could.

2 for 2!! Great way to end the day!

Time to head home!


6 comments:

Doug Cook said...

Good to see you back Gary, I missed your Blog posts. Thought of you the other day when I read an article about Greenbacks. http://www.about-trout.com/study-reveals-secrets-of-colorados-greenback-cutthroat-trout/

Looks like they are still on my want list as I caught mine in the Roaring River.

Doug Cook said...

Good to see you back Gary, I missed your Blog posts. Thought of you the other day when I read an article about Greenbacks. http://www.about-trout.com/study-reveals-secrets-of-colorados-greenback-cutthroat-trout/

Looks like they are still on my want list as I caught mine in the Roaring River.

Doug Cook said...

Good to see you back Gary, I missed your Blog posts. Thought of you the other day when I read an article about Greenbacks. http://www.about-trout.com/study-reveals-secrets-of-colorados-greenback-cutthroat-trout/

Looks like they are still on my want list as I caught mine in the Roaring River.

wyoflyfish said...

That looks like you had a beautiful trip Gary. Those coho are pretty amazing.

Loomis Dude said...

Hope you come back soon. Miss your posts.

Brian Mack said...

Beautiful Coho and Cutties! Would like to see more blog posts...