About this blog

This blog is all about fly fishing for native trout. On it I cover trip reports, fishing tactics, conservation, the latest news about native trout species and much more. This site provides a companion to my web page Nativetroutflyfishing.com.

Gary

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Beaver Pond Brookies

At the beginning of the week I had to make a trip to Boise, ID and while I didn't have a ton of time to fish, I made a point of getting up to the Sawtooths for a bit. For this outing I decided to head up a random creek to see what I could find and before long a series of beaver ponds caught my attention.

Looking out over the valley

Before fishing I went down to scout things out and after seeing several fish rise in a couple of minutes, I decided this spot would do. I rigged up with a tandem rig, using a couple of my favorite beaver pond patterns, a Zug Bug and Apache Special (named after a certain type of trout that love it). Within a couple of casts this set up yielded some results and a beautiful Brook Trout came to hand.

A beaver pond Brookie

The Brookies were extremely spooky, but each pond would produce a few fish before they would catch on to things.

A beautiful male brook trout starting to show his spawning colors

On the ponds

Although I didn't have too much time to spend here and while the fish were not native, the fast paced action and beautiful surroundings were hard to beat and made for a great few hours of fishing.

No comments: