About this blog

This blog is all about fly fishing for native trout. On it I cover trip reports, fishing tactics, conservation, the latest news about native trout species and much more. This site provides a companion to my web page Nativetroutflyfishing.com.

Gary

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sunset sea-runs

With my recent success on the Sound it was hard not to get out again, so when Colton called asking me to join him at the local beach, I was all in. When I got there the outgoing tide was underway Colton was already fishing.

Sunset at the beach

As with my prior outing, the fish seemed to be in and Colton had already gotten into a couple and within a few minutes found another nice 10" Cutthroat. While it wasn't lights out fishing, every ten minutes or so one of us would either get a hit or lock into a fish. Colton seemed to be having a bit better luck than me with the Cutthroat and was up three Cutthroat to my one Flounder before long.

My little Flounder

However, as the light faded we both decided to put some larger flies on and the change up seemed to make all the difference for me as I got a strong take and a solid hook up. This fish had some size to it and made my 6wt rod work for it. After several minutes of battling though, I brought the beautiful 16" sea-run to hand. After this fish we had a couple more hits, but the light was fading fast and we had to call an end to the day.

A great way to end the day.

No comments: