About this blog

This blog is all about fly fishing for native trout. On it I cover trip reports, fishing tactics, conservation, the latest news about native trout species and much more. This site provides a companion to my web page Nativetroutflyfishing.com.

Gary

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Quick Olympic Mountain Outing

With summer in full swing I was able to get out on my favorite Olympic Peninsula stream with my daughter Valerie for a short after work outing. This stream is where I did the majority of my research for grad school and as such is an incredibly special place to me making it a joy to get to share it with my daughter.

A beautiful afternoon to be on the river

While Valerie has been fishing a few times over the last couple of years, this was my first time getting her out with a fly rod. I picked a spot on the river that is secluded and has proved itself as an easy go to for native Rainbows that are eager to rise to dry flies. Although Valerie needed a little casting assistance, the fish didn't disappoint and after just a couple of casts we hooked and landed her fish on a dry fly.

Valerie with a small native Coastal Rainbow Trout on a dry fly

Over the next hour Valerie and I took turns casting and caught several more fish, all in the 6" to 8" range before switching to exploring the river bank and picking wild huckleberries on the trail out on a short but sweeting outing.

Another small native Rainbow Trout

A streamside butterfly

Picking Red Huckleberries

The trail out

No comments: